[Python-Dev] PEP, take 2: Exception Reorganization for Python 3.0

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Thu Aug 4 00:26:12 CEST 2005

On Aug 3, 2005, at 3:00 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> [...brain hums...]
>
> OK, I'm changing my mind again about the names again.
>
> Exception as the root and StandardError can stay; the only new
> proposal would then be to make bare 'except:' call StandardError.

I don't see how that can work. Any solution that is expected to
result in a usable hierarchy this century must preserve "Exception"
as the object that user exceptions should derive from (and therefore
that users should generally catch, as well). There is way too much
momentum behind that to change it.

James