[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 4 07:42:54 CEST 2005

Nicholas Bastin wrote:
>>No. The PEP is only about Subversion. Why should we be looking at Per
>>Force? Only because Python is Open Source?
>

> Perforce is a commercial product, but it can be had for free for
> verified Open Source projects, which Python shouldn't have any problem
> with.  There are other problems, like you have to renew the agreement
> every year, but it might be worth considering, given the fact that
> it's an excellent system.

So we should consider it because it is an excellent system... I don't
know what that means, in precise, day-to-day usage terms (i.e. what
precisely would it do for us that, say, Subversion can't do).

>>I think anything but Subversion is ruled out because:
>>- there is no offer to host that anywhere (for subversion, there is
>>  already svn.python.org)
>

> We could host a Perforce repository just as easily, I would think.

Interesting offer. I'll add this to the PEP - who is "we" in this
context?

>>- there is no support for converting a CVS repository (for subversion,
>>  there is cvs2svn)
>

> I'd put $20 on the fact that cvs2svn will *not* work out of the box
> for converting the python repository.  Just call it a hunch.

You could have read the PEP before losing that money :-) It did work
out of the box.

Regards,
Martin