[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Oleg Broytmann phd at mail2.phd.pp.ru
Mon Aug 8 10:47:56 CEST 2005

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 11:51:49PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Has anyone experienced svn corruptions with the fsfs backend?  I
> haven't, across quite a few repositories.

   I haven't. But I must admit that the repositories I'm working with
aren't big. The bigest is at svn.colorstudy.com (I am working on SQLObject)
and since the time Ian has switched from dbfs to fsfs I don't remember any
problems with the repo.

   Speaking of merge. SVN relived much pain that CVS had gave me. With CVS
I had a lot of conflicts - if the code to be merged is already there (had
been merged from another branch) one got conflict. If the code contains CVS
keywords (__version__ = "$Id$") cvs merge always produced conflicts.
   SVN fixed both problems so now I see only real conflicts. SVN just
ignores the code to be merged if it has ben already merged; and SVN convert
keywords internally to its default form ($Id$ instead of $Id: python.c 42 phd $)
before merging.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru