[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Aug 9 14:38:14 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 19:29, Tim Peters wrote:

> > Currently with svn you have to manually specify those 9 to be sure to not
> > include the remaining one. With p4 you just say to check-in the whole tree
> > and then remove that one from the list give you in your editor with entering
> > the check-in message. Not that big of a deal.
>
> As a purely theoretical exercise <wink>, the last time I faced that
> under SVN, I opened the single file I didn't want to check-in in my
> editor, did "svn revert" on it from the cmdline, checked in the whole
> tree, and then hit the editor's "save" button.  This doesn't scale
> well to skipping 25 of 50, but it's effective enough for 1 or 2.

Or one could use a decent client, like say psvn under XEmacs <wink>
which presents you a list of all modified files and lets you select
which ones you want to commit.

The one thing I dislike about svn (in my day-to-day use of it) is that
it can take a VERY long time to do updates at the roots of very large
trees.  I once tried to check out the root of our dev tree, which
contains all branches and tags.  Of course the initial checkout took
forever.  But an update at the root made this approach unusable.  svn
would sit there, seemingly idle for 30-45 minutes and then take another
30-45 minutes updating the changes, which typically consisted of maybe
50 files out of thousands.  And this on a gig LAN with fast h/w all
around (and for Tim's sake I won't even complain about how some
operating systems appear to perform much worse than others :).

The smaller you can keep your working copies, the better.

-Barry