[Python-Dev] pdb: should next command be extended?

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri Aug 12 03:02:42 CEST 2005

On Monday 08 August 2005 20:13, Ilya Sandler wrote:
> > At OSCON, Anthony Baxter made the point that pdb is currently one of the
> > more unPythonic modules.
>
> What is unpythonic about pdb? Is this part of Anthony's presentation
> online? (Google found a summary and slides from presentation but they
> don't say anything about pdb's deficiencies)

It was a lightning talk, I'll put the slides up somewhere at some point.
My experience with pdb is that it's more or less impossible to extend or
subclass it in any way, and the code is pretty nasty. In addition, pretty
much everyone I asked "which modules in the std lib need to be seriously
fixed" listed pdb first (and sometimes first, second and third).

Anthony