[Python-Dev] plans for 2.4.2 and 2.5a1

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Aug 12 13:29:49 CEST 2005

Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> writes:

> So I'm currently planning for a 2.4.2 sometime around mid September. I figure
> we cut a release candidate either on the 7th or 14th, and a final a week
> later.

Cool.  I'm not sure how many outstanding bugs should be fixed before
2.4.2.  Some stuff to do with files with PEP 263 style declarations?
(Walter?  I've lost track of these).

I think I should probably just check my fix for "PyXxx_Check(x) trusts
x->ob_type->tp_mro" (http://python.org/sf/1153075) in to both
branches, unless someone can think of a good reason not to (Armin?).
(The whole area could do with some work, really, but that's another
story).

> In addition, I'd like to suggest we think about a first alpha of 2.5 sometime
> during March 2006, with a final release sometime around May-June. This would
> mean (assuming people are happy with this) we need to make a list of what's
> still outstanding for 2.5. There's a bunch of accepted PEPs that are waiting
> for code. Once that's done, there will be a final 2.4.3 sometime after or
> close to the 2.5 final release.

I have some outstanding patches:

1) My PEP 343 implementation (http://python.org/sf/1235943).  Needs
   reviewing, but docs are in another patch.  I also recently realized
   that my patch is incomplete, we should accept stuff like this:

      with cm as (a,b,c): ...

   where cm.__enter__ returns a 3-sequence.  My patch just allows a
   NAME after the 'as' pseudo-keyword (if anyone else wants to fix
   this, be my guest :)

2) The new-style exceptions patch (http://python.org/sf/1104669).
   This mostly needs documentation, but could also do with
   review/testing.

3) "explicit sign variable for longs" (http://python.org/sf/1177779).
   This is a user-invisible patch, really, so I'm not so concerned
   about it (I'd like to follow it up by emitting DeprecationWarnings
   on ob_size abuse in 2.6 and disallowing it in 2.7 -- or maybe we
   could even emit DeprecationWarnings in 2.5 already).

4) "__slots__ for subclasses of variable length types"
   (http://python.org/sf/1173475) -- this is very pie-in-the-sky and
   in fact the attached patch is completely broken, but I think work
   in this area would still be a good thing.  Review the others before
   looking at this one, please :)

... then there's the ast-branch, of course ...

Is there a 2.5 release PEP yet?

Cheers,
mwh

--
  If i don't understand lisp, it would be wise to not bray about
  how lisp is stupid or otherwise criticize, because my stupidity