[Python-Dev] Fwd: Distributed RCS

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 14 14:01:46 CEST 2005

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> With permission, I'm forwarding an email from Mark Shuttleworth about
> Bazaar-2 (aka Bazaar-NG), a distributed source control system (not
> entirely unlike bitkeeper, I presume) written in Python and in use by
> the Ubuntu system. What do people think of using this for Python? Is
> it the right model?

Like Skip, I tried experimenting with it. While that may be the right
model, I don't think it is the right software. In bazaar-ng 0.0.5 (which
is what Debian unstable currently has), bzr commit would not open
a text editor, but require the commit message on the command line;
selective commit of only some of the changed files is also not
supported. bzr diff cannot show the changes between two revisions,
and cannot show revisions across branches.

So I assume that using bazaar-ng right now would cause problems in
day-to-day usage.

Regards,
Martin