[Python-Dev] Fwd: Distributed RCS

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Tue Aug 16 06:51:37 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 04:30, Benji York wrote:
> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> > skip at pobox.com wrote:
> >>Granted.  What is the cost of waiting a bit longer to see if it (or
> >>something else) gets more usable and would hit the mark better than svn?
> >
> > It depends on what "a bit" is. Waiting a month would be fine; waiting
> > two years might be pointless.
>
> This might be too convoluted to consider, but I thought I might throw it
> out there.  We use svn for our repositories, but I've taken to also
> using bzr so I can do local commits and reversions (within a particular
> svn reversion).  I can imagine expanding that usage to sharing branches
> and such via bzr (or mercurial, which looks great), but keeping the
> trunk in svn.

Not too convoluted at all; I already do exactly this with many upstream
CVS and SVN repositorys, using a local PRCS for my own branches. I'm
considering switching to a distributed RCS for my own branches because
it would make it easier for others to share them.

I think this probably is the best solution; it gives a reliable(?)
centralised RCS for the trunk, but allows distributed development.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au>