[Python-Dev] PEP 347: Migration to Subversion

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Aug 16 14:52:13 CEST 2005

Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> writes:

> On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 07:42, Michael Hudson wrote:
>
>> The third set of people who count are pydotorg admins.  I'm not really
>> one of those either at the moment.  While SF's CVS setup has it's
>> problems (occasional outages; it's only CVS) it's hard to beat what it
>> costs us in sysadmin time: zero.
>
> True, although because of the peculiarities of cvs, there have
> definitely been times I wish we had direct access to the repository.
> svn should make most of those reasons moot.
>
> As for sysadmin time with the changes proposed by the pep -- clearly
> they won't be zero, but I think the overhead for svn itself will be
> nearly so.

OK, that's more or less what I thought.

[...]

> I'd be happy to switch to svn now, while continuing to experiment
> and follow the better scm systems for the future.

I suppose another question is: when?  Between 2.4.2 and 2.5a1 seems
like a good opportunity.  I guess the biggest job is collection of
keys and associated admin?

Cheers,
mwh

--
  well, take it from an old hand: the only reason it would be easier
  to program in C is that you can't easily express complex problems