[Python-Dev] Deprecating builtin id (and moving it to sys())

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Aug 17 18:37:42 CEST 2005

I'd like to see the builtin id() removed so that I can use it as a
local variable name without clashing with the builtin name.  I
certainly use the id() function, but not as often as I have a local
variable I'd like to name id.  The sys module seems like a natural
place to put id(), since it is exposing something about the
implementation of Python rather than something about the language; the
language offers the is operator to check ids.

Jeremy