[Python-Dev] PEP 347: Migration to Subversion

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 21 15:43:59 CEST 2005

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On the hosting issue, I'm still neutral -- I expect we'll be able to
> support the current developer crowd easily on svn.python.org, but if
> we ever find ther are resource problems (either people or bandwidth
> etc.) I just received a recommendation for wush.net which specializes
> in svn hosting. $90/month for 5 Gb of disk space sounds like a good
> deal and easily within the PSF budget.

I also have wush.net in the PEP, see my separate message. I'm not sure
what it really is that we get over what we get from XS4ALL for free.
>From the day-to-day maintenance, they seem comparable: they do backup
for us, and we have to maintain accounts ourselves. Of course,
wush.net has a Web GUI for maintenance activities (create repositories,
create accounts, manage access control).

I left out bandwidth details so far: we get 200GB/mo; after this, it
is $50/200GB. Another issue might be server load. I don't know how
many VPS they host on a single machine, or what their hardware is,
but in either case, pythondev developer svn would be shared with
something else (other VPSs for wush.net, regular pydotorg activities
on python.org). Only day-to-day experience will tell whether this
is acceptable.

The critical issue seems to be availability: if the service goes
down, when will it come back? Bob's experience is discouraging,
but then, there also was a python.org outage from time to time
(e.g. when MoinMoin consumed all CPU).

As for the money itself: 90$/month certainly is not an issue at
all.

So far, I haven't received any other specific referrals for
SVN hosters.

Regards,
Martin