[Python-Dev] Admin access using svn+ssh

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Aug 22 08:18:31 CEST 2005

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I may be totally misunderstanding, but to get shell access wouldn't I
> avoid using the pythondev account and just use my own account?

You could do that (or use the root account); I can't: I don't have
a ssh account on dinsdale. An even if I had, I couldn't write to
pythondev's authorized_keys2.

> I'm also a little confused about the pep.  What does "admin access to
> the pythondev account" mean?  Do you mean the people who are going to be
> managing users that can access svn?

Correct.

> In that case, I think the system
> admins (i.e. those who already have shell access to dinsdale) would be
> the people managing user access to svn.

Ok: to whom should I forward the ssh keys then which I'm currently
collecting?

>>Host pythondev
>>  Hostname dinsdale.python.org
>>  User pythondev
>>  IdentityFile ~/.ssh/pythondev
>>
>>So when I do "ssh pythondev", I get the shell account; when I do
>>"svn co svn+ssh://pythondev@svn.python.org/python/trunk/Modules",
>>I use my default identity, which gets tunneled as "Martin v. Loewis".
>

> I'm confused again; are you saying that we should have a host named
> pythondev.python.org?  I'm not sure that's necessary.

Not at all. This is rather an OpenSSH convenience mechanism to avoid
typing hostname and user name all the time. I introduce a local alias
pythondev, which means I want to access pythondev at dinsdale.python.org,
using the key pythondev.pub.

Regards,
Martin