[Python-Dev] Bare except clauses in PEP 348

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 11:26:02 CEST 2005

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> The latest version of PEP 348 still proposes that a bare except clause
> will default to Exception instead of BaseException.  Initially, I had
> thought that might be a good idea but now think it is doomed and needs
> to be removed from the PEP.

One thing I assumed was that _if_ bare excepts were kept, they would still
only be allowed as the last except clause.

That is, this example:
>   try:     ...
>   except:  ...     # A bare except in the middle.  WTF?
>   except (KeyboardInterrupt, SystemExit): ...

would still be a syntax error, even if bare excepts were allowed.

I still have some qualms about the idea of a bare except that doesn't catch
everything (I'd prefer to see them gone altogether), but I don't mind quite as
much if the above code stays as a syntax error.

Cheers,
Nick.