[Python-Dev] partition() (was: Remove str.find in 3.0?)

Delaney, Timothy (Tim) tdelaney at avaya.com
Tue Aug 30 06:07:59 CEST 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> +1 for partition().

Looks like I'm getting seriously outvoted here ... Still, as I said I
don't think the name is overly important until the idea has been
accepted anyway. How long did we go with people in favour of "resource
manager" until "context manager" came up?

Of course, if I (or someone else) can't come up with an obviously better
name, partition() will win by default. I don't think it's a *bad* name -
just don't think it's a particularly *obvious* name.

I think that one of the things I have against it is that most times I
type it, I get a typo. If this function is accepted, I think it will
(and should!) become one of the most used string functions around. As
such, the name should be *very* easy to type.

Tim Delaney