[Python-Dev] setdefault's second argument

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Aug 30 20:53:23 CEST 2005

Tim Peters wrote:
> Anyone remember why setdefault's second argument is optional?

Some kind of symmetry with get, probably.  if

    d.get(x)

returns None if x doesn't exist, it makes some kind of sense that

    d.setdefault(x)

returns None as well.

Anyone remember why nobody managed to come up with a better name
for setdefault (which is probably the worst name ever given to a method
in the standard Python distribution) ?

(if I were in charge, I'd rename it to something more informative.  I'd also
add a "join" built-in (similar to the good old string.join) and a "textfile"
built-
in (similar to open("U") plus support for encodings).  but that's me.  I
want
my code nice and tidy.)

</F>