[Python-Dev] Proof of the pudding: str.partition()

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Wed Aug 31 06:27:23 CEST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Ron Adam wrote:
>>For cases where single values are desired, attribues could work.
>>       line = line.partition(';').head
>>       line = line.partition('#').head
>>But it gets awkward as soon as you want more than one.
>>       sep, port = host.partition(':').head, host.partition(':').sep
> unless you go for the piece approach
>     host, port = host.piece(":", 1, 2)
> (which, of course, is short for
>     host, port = host.piece(":").group(1, 2)
> )

I'm not familiar with piece, but it occurred to me it might be useful to
get attributes groups in some way.  My first (passing) thought was to do...

      host, port = host.partition(':').(head, sep)

Where that would be short calling a method to return them:

      host, port = host.partition(':').getattribs('head','sep')

But with only three items, the '_' is in the category of "Looks kind of
strange, but I can get used to it because it works well.".