[Python-Dev] Tracker anonymity

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Dec 7 17:30:32 CET 2005

On 12/7/05, skip at pobox.com <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> You're preaching to the choir.  I'm made the same argument over and over on
> c.l.py, but there is a vocal minority there that believes the current state
> of affairs is a barrier that prevents submissions.

I definitely don't want anonymous bug reports (even for trivial ones).
I expect the problem is more that in order to submit non-anonymously
not only do you have to provide an email address, but you have to go
through the whole rigmarole of signing up as a SF user.

I don't think that the issue is so much the need for anonymity but the
signup hassle. (After all, if you really want to be anonymous you can
sign up under an alias or use an anonymizer; if you really don't want
to read the SF email you can direct the mail to /dev/null.)

Anyway, now that we've moved to our own Subversion, the trackers are
the lsat part of the Python infrastructure that remains on SF. There's
a perfectly capable replacement ready to wait on python.org. Maybe we
should finally switch to roundup so we can abandon SF?