[Python-Dev] ElementTree - Why not part of the core? (fwd)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Dec 8 21:42:01 CET 2005

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> Passing along from c.l.py.  I think ElementTree is the poster child for
> best-of-breed code belonging in the standard distribution.

That's primarily for the author of the software to decide, at this
point. Fredrik Lundh would have to offer it for contribution first.

I don't know what his current position is, but I think it is unlikely
that he will contribute it: in the past, he often indicated that he
a) dislikes the growth of the standard Python library, and
b) dislikes forking his own branch for inclusion in another package
    (which would happen if he contributed one version for the
     standard library, and would continue to maintain the code
     outside of Python also).

That said, I agree that ElementTree would be a valuable addition
to the Python library, and has certainly passed the "collect feedback
in the real world" test.

Regards,
Martin