[Python-Dev] ElementTree - Why not part of the core? (fwd)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Dec 8 22:45:29 CET 2005

Steve Holden wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
> [...]
>
>>I hope that packaging progress will someday make it matter much less
>>whether something is in the standard library.
>>

> For which we need a *mechanism* that all package providers can
> implement, rather than a repository to which all package providers must
> contribute.

I think we need both.  We need the mechanism and repositories, although
non necessarily one repository.  Phillip Eby and others seem to be making
wonderful progress on the mechanism.  I haven't had a chance to play with this
yet, but I expect to  over the next few months.  People who have seem
quite enthusiastic.

Jim