[Python-Dev] PEP 8 updates/clarifications

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sat Dec 10 10:53:07 CET 2005

Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> writes:

> Let's say something like "string-based exceptions are strongly
> discouraged, and in fact may be deprecated or disappear in a future
> Python version.  Use class-based exceptions."

If I have anything to do with it, they _will_ be deprecated in 2.5.
There is simply no excuse for writing new code using string
exceptions.

Cheers,
mwh
(PS: are people still interested in my new-style exceptions patch?
 http://bugs.python.org/1104669)

--
  In the 1950s and 60s there was a regular brain drain of young
  Australians from the cities to London, but it was because of