[Python-Dev] Deprecate __ private (was Re: PEP 8 updates/clarifications)

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 01:30:16 CET 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Can we officially mark __private as a mistake. Perhaps:
>
> - Strongly discourage it in the style guide

+1

> - Mark it in the language reference as a deprecated feature

+1

> - Generate deprecation warnings when it is used?

-0

I don't see that this gains us much.  It will create annoyances for
people who don't want to update old code, and since most folks have to
search for the "feature" in the first place, if it's documented as
deprecated, hopefully they won't use it.

STeVe
--
You can wordify anything if you just verb it.
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy