[Python-Dev] ElementTree in stdlib

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 02:11:20 CET 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Steven Bethard wrote:
> > I didn't really feel like the proposal was out of the blue.  The
> > proposal has been brought up before, both on python-dev[1] and the
> > python-list[2].  ElementTree has a pretty large following - if you
> > look at XML-based questions on the python-list, I can almost guarantee
> > you that someone will give an elementtree solution to it (and not just
> > Fredrik).  I don't know much about any other APIs, so I'm not going to
> > try to claim it's the best API or anything, but it is the best of what
> > seems to have any user visibility on the python-list.
>
> It's difficult to establish precise numbers, but I would expect that
> most readers of xml-sig are well aware of how DOM and SAX work, perhaps
> even better than ElementTree.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that DOM and SAX (though mainly DOM in
my experience) solutions weren't also offered on the python-list.
It's just that we already have DOM and SAX APIs in the stdlib.  My
point was mainly that elementtree was the xml module that I've seen
most often cited on python-list that isn't already in the stdlib.

STeVe
--
You can wordify anything if you just verb it.
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy