[Python-Dev] ElementTree in stdlib

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Tue Dec 13 10:38:44 CET 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> [...]
>
> It's difficult to establish precise numbers, but I would expect that
> most readers of xml-sig are well aware of how DOM and SAX work, perhaps
> even better than ElementTree.
>
> My main complaint about this was in the past that it is a Python-only
> solution, so people working in multiple languages cannot reuse their
> knowledge. It seems that this is irrelevant, as people don't work
> in multiple languages so much. I still think that Python should continue
> to provide standard APIs, for those that know how things are done
> in Java.

I think there could be a middle ground between one API for all XML
processors in all languages (SAX+DOM) and every XML package having its
own custom API. A common tree API for all Python XML processors might be
beneficial. Maybe ElementTree can become that API? Or maybe a subset of
the ElementTree API (I don't think the text and trail attributes should
be in that API).

Bye,
    Walter Dörwald