[Python-Dev] Incorporating external packages into Python's std distribution

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Dec 13 15:52:18 CET 2005

>>>>> "skip" == skip  <skip at pobox.com> writes:

    skip> BTW, there is one project I'm theoretically familiar with
    skip> that attempts to handle the dual source situation: XEmacs.
    skip> I'm still trying to come to terms with the practical issues
    skip> involved.  I'm supposed to be updating the python-mode code,
    skip> and am only taking baby steps in that direction, so I'm
    skip> probably not the best person to describe how it works, but
    skip> here goes.

I'd be happy to make some time to describe the XEmacs scheme and
experience if somebody wants.  However, XEmacs faces language and code
organization constraints that Python does not, and Fredrik's
suggestion looks like a substantial improvement over the system XEmacs
has in place.

Even with its defects, it's been a great success for us.