[Python-Dev] PEP 8 updates/clarifications

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Dec 15 16:40:21 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 20:41 -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 12/14/05, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 11:13 +1100, Dave Cole wrote:
> >
> > > The only thing I strongly disagree with is the promotion of javaNaming
> > > to equal footing with python_naming.
> >
> > Actually, they're not on equal footing atm.  I happen to agree with you
> > though.
>
> It doesn't matter. Many large projects are adopting the camelCase
> convention, either by choice or by accident. I did a brief review of
> Zope 3 and Chandler, and while neither is consistent, camelCase
> prevails (Chandler also has a lot of CapWords method names, wihch
> suggests they didn't get this from Java -- maybe from C++?).

That's fine.  As always, projects (especially big framework-y ones like
Zope and Chandler) are free to adopt whatever they want.  Their internal
consistency is more important anyway than adherence to PEP 8.

PEP 8 though is primarily about establishing guidelines for the standard
library.  The underline_words recommendation has been in place for 4+
years now, and modules that have been written in that time frame have
been written against to those rules.  I see no reason to change now just
to be more Java-like.

-Barry