[Python-Dev] Expose Subversion revision number to Python

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Dec 16 22:03:09 CET 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> But you can also have more than one revision number that represents the
> *exact same code*, with no changes at all.

That's correct. I don't see this as a problem - in particular not in
the context of the proposed patch.

The idea is that you can reliably tell what code base a certain
executable image originates from. With that patch, you can

> It can also give you a false indicator of change, when nothing has in
> fact changed.  Don't believe me?

I believe that the version number changes. It is a false indicator only
if you are unaware of that fact. To me, different version numbers don't
indicate different code bases, because I know how subversion works.

> I'm rather baffled as to why everyone seems so insistent on not using
> "Last Changed Rev" and "-R"

That's easy to tell: because it is expensive.

Regards,
Martin