[Python-Dev] Expose Subversion revision number to Python

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sat Dec 17 17:09:14 CET 2005

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> that *still* won't tell you what precise sources had been used
> to build the binary, as different files simply can be on different
> revisions, and no single number, in whatever way computed, can
> give you full information.

A tangential point is that presumably source distributions will be
built from an 'svn export' and thus won't have any revision
information in, which in turns means that a Python built from such a
distribution will not have any revision information.  This seems
rather far from ideal, as I'd guess most Pythons (e.g. Debian's) are
built this way. For a different approach, would it be possible to have
a subversion trigger put the revision number into some file in the
repository?

Cheers,
mwh

--
  On the other hand, the following areas are subject to boycott
  in reaction to the rampant impurity of design or execution, as