[Python-Dev] status of development documentation

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Dec 21 21:16:02 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 20:36 +0100, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> I'm not really interested in optimizing for you, I'm interested in optimizing
> for everyone else.  They already know HTML.  They don't know ReST, and
> I doubt they care about it (how many blogs accept ReST for comments?)

Sorry, but HTML and (even more so) XML are not human-writable. :)  Yeah,
we can all do the simple stuff, but I absolutely hate authoring in HTML,
and it would be a nightmare if the documentation production system
didn't handle lots and lots of magic for you (like weaving in the right
footers, css, etc. -- oh wait, that's ht2html!).

reST is a fine language but it seems more suitable to simpler linear
documents like wiki pages and PEPs, rather than those with complicated
nested structure.

Maybe it's just because I came in late on this thread, but what exactly
is broken about the current LaTeX documentation?

-Barry