[Python-Dev] status of development documentation

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Thu Dec 22 18:33:39 CET 2005

I wrote:
> My own favorite idea is to create a comment-on-the-docs mechanism
> allowing both COMMENTS, and PROPOSED EDITS.

Fred Drake replies:
> I'm unclear on what you buy with having these two labels; are comments things
> that (presumably) get ignored by the documentation editor, or are the
> proposed edits simply more specific?

Things that get ignored by the doc editors.

> (I'm also concerned that the whole thing could end up being misused as a help
> desk, littering the docs with questions about application problems.)

Me too. Specifically, I think if you make it really easy to write notes
on the docs you will get some helpful documentation content. You will
also get lots of things that are too lengthy or exhaustive, to specific
to one person's problem, helpdesk style questions, and probably spam. All
I meant was to allow the contributor to specify which category they think
this particular note belongs to so the doc editors can read only the ones
that people thought ought to be included in the docs.

-- Michael Chermside