[Python-Dev] LaTeX and Python doc contributions

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Dec 23 04:46:55 CET 2005

    Fred> On Thursday 22 December 2005 13:23, skip at pobox.com wrote:

    >> Who is asking this of potential contributors?  I know you, Aahz
    >> and I have repeatedly told people on c.l.py that LaTeX
    >> knowledge is not necessary.  Plain text is okay.  What do we
    >> need to do to squash this meme?

    Fred> As Andrew noted, it doesn't really matter who it was.

I interpreted Skip's first question as 100% rhetorical.<wink>

I think one aspect of the meme is that projects generally strongly
emphasize standard-format patches to source for code.  But this is
typically less important for documentation, where good and consistent
natural language style probably means that the editor applies the
patch, and then revises in place rather than requesting a revision
from the contributor.

I don't know whether that distinction helps with creating a vaccine,
though.  I don't see an obvious application beyond the suggestion of
saying "patches aren't necessary" more frequently and prominently.