[Python-Dev] Python + Visual C++ 8.0?

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at cci.lbl.gov
Mon Dec 26 18:59:43 CET 2005

We have a bunch of C++ extensions (Boost.Python) that work fine under
Windows when compiled with Visual C++ 7.1. With a few minor tweaks
all extensions also compile with Visual C++ 8.0, but trying to "import"
any of the extensions fails with this message (shown in a pop-up box):

  This application has failed to start because MSVCP80.dll was
  not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I am using a Visual Studio 2005 Professional installation. I also ran
vcredist_x86.exe. Moving msvc[mpr]80.dll to a directory on PATH didn't
help. However, standalone executables work OK without any gymnastics.
Does anyone know what the problem could be with the extensions?

A quick attempt to compile Python from scratch using Visual C++ 8.0
produced a python.exe, but it doesn't run (the debug / send report /
don't send report box pops up). Has someone tried this before?

Cheers,
        Ralf