[Python-Dev] Is msvcr71.dll re-redistributable?

Vincent Wehren vwehren at home.nl
Wed Feb 2 18:27:47 CET 2005

Tony Meyer wrote:
> [Thanks for bringing this up, BTW, Thomas].
>
> [Thomas Heller]
>

> [Vincent Wehren]
>
>>According to the EULA,
>

> Is that the EULA of MS VC++?

The full text of the EULA for Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 can be found
at http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/eula.aspx

For VS.NET:
http://proprietary.clendons.co.nz/licenses/eula/VisualStudiodotnetEnterpriseArchitect2002-eula.htm

>>you may distribute anything listed in redist.txt:
>

> And, just to be clear, mscvr71.dll is in redist.txt?

Not in the free toolkit; in the $-version it must be.

> I'm not that familiar with the names of all these things.  Is the "Microsoft
> Visual C++ Toolkit 2003" the free thing that you can get?

Yep.

>>In the case of not owning a compiler at all, chances seem pretty slim
>>you have any rights to distribute anything.
>

> Well, I 'own' a copy of gcc, which is a compiler <wink>.
>
> Can anyone here suggest a way to get around this?  As a specific example:
> the SpamBayes distribution includes a py2exe binary, and it would be nice
> (although not essential) to build this with 2.4.  However, at the moment my
> name goes down as the release manager, and I don't have (AFAICT) a licence
> to redistribute msvcr71.dl.

Okay: thinking about this for a bit longer: it is the Python interpreter
that needs msvcr71.dll, right. You  need the python interpreter for
py2exe. The distributor of Python is allowed to redistribute
msvcr71.dll, and you are acting as re-distributor for the Python
interpreter (to end users) and the EULA never even cares for/applies to
the frozen binary...

--
Vincent Wehren