[Python-Dev] Patch review: [ 1098732 ] Enhance tracebacks and stack traces with vars

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Feb 10 01:15:48 CET 2005

At 11:25 PM 2/9/05 +0000, Michael Hudson wrote:
>"Phillip J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> writes:
>
> > At 08:20 PM 2/9/05 +0100, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
> >>Does Skip's idea have
> >>any merit?
> >
> > Yes, but not as a default behavior.  Many people already consider the
> > fact that tracebacks display file paths to be a potential security
> > problem.  If anything, the default traceback display should have less
> > information, not more.  (E.g., display module __name__ instead of the
> > code's __file__).
>
>Oh, come on.  Making tracebacks less useful to protect people who
>accidentally spray them across the internet seems absurd.  Would you
>like them not to show source, either?

I said that many people considered that to be the case, not that I
did.  ;)  I'd personally prefer to read module names than filenames, so I
guess I should've mentioned that.  :)

Of course, Guido has previously answered the filename vs. modulename
question (years ago in fact), so it was moot even before I mentioned
it.  For some reason it slipped my mind at the time, though.