[Python-Dev] Re: license issues with profiler.py and md5.h/md5c.c

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sat Feb 12 15:11:17 CET 2005

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:54:27PM +1100, Donovan Baarda wrote:
>
>>Are there any potential problems with making the md5sum module availability
>>"optional" in the same way as this?
>

> The md5 module has been a standard module for a long time; making it
> optional in the next version of Python isn't possible.  We'd have to
> require OpenSSL to compile Python.
>
> I'm happy to replace the MD5 and/or SHA implementations with other
> code, provided other code with a suitable license can be found.

How about this one:

 From an API standpoint, it's trivially different from the one currently
in Python.

 From md5.c:

/*
   Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2002 Aladdin Enterprises.  All rights reserved.

   This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
   warranty.  In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages
   arising from the use of this software.

   Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
   including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
   freely, subject to the following restrictions:

   1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
      claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software
      in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be
      appreciated but is not required.
   2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must
not be
      misrepresented as being the original software.
   3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source
distribution.

   L. Peter Deutsch
   ghost at aladdin.com

  */
/* $Id: md5.c,v 1.6 2002/04/13 19:20:28 lpd Exp $ */
/*
   Independent implementation of MD5 (RFC 1321).

   This code implements the MD5 Algorithm defined in RFC 1321, whose
   text is available at
         http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1321.txt
   The code is derived from the text of the RFC, including the test suite
   (section A.5) but excluding the rest of Appendix A.  It does not include
   any code or documentation that is identified in the RFC as being
   copyrighted.

[etc.]

--
Robert Kern