[Python-Dev] A hybrid C & Python implementation for itertools

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 14 03:26:44 CET 2005

I can't really imagine Raymond liking this idea, and I have a feeling the idea
has been shot down before. However, I can't persuade Google to tell me anything
about such an occasion, so here goes anyway. . .

The utilities in the itertools module can easily be composed to provide
additional useful functionality (e.g. the itertools recipes given in the
documentation [1]).

However, having to recode these every time you need them, or arranging access to
a utility module can be a pain for application programming in some corporate
environments [2]. The lack of builtin support also leads to many variations on a
theme, only some of which actually work properly, or which work, but in subtly
different ways [3]. On the other hand, it really isn't worth the effort to code
these algorithms in C for the current itertools module.

If itertools was a hybrid module, the handy 3-4 liners could go in the Python
section, with the heavy lifting done by the underlying C module. The Python
equivalents to the current C code could also be placed in the hybrid module (as
happens with some of the other hybrid modules in the library).

An alternative approach is based on an idea from Alex Martelli [4]. As Alex
points out, itertools is currently more about *creating* iterators than it is
about consuming them (the only function desription that doesn't start with 'Make
an iterator' is itertools.tee and that starts with 'Return n independent
iterators'). Alex's idea would involve adding a module with a new name that is
focused on *consuming* iterators (IOW, extending the available standard
accumulators beyond the existing min(), max() and sum() without further
populating the builtins).

The downside of the latter proposal is that the recipes in the itertools
documentation relate both to producing *and* consuming iterators, so a new
module would leave the question of where to put the handy iterator producers.

Regards,
Nick.

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/lib/itertools-recipes.html
[2] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-February/266310.html