[Python-Dev] Windows Low Fragmentation Heap yields speedup of ~15%

Gfeller Martin Martin.Gfeller at comit.ch
Wed Feb 23 12:46:56 CET 2005

> A well-known trick is applicable in that case, if Martin thinks it's
> worth the bother:
> grow the list to its final size once, at the start (overestimating if
> you don't know for sure).  Then instead of appending, keep an index to
> the next free slot, same as you'd do in C.  Then the list guts never
> move, so if that doesn't yield the same kind of speedup without using
> LFH, list copying wasn't actually the culprit to begin with.

I actually did that in Py2.1, and removed it when we switched to Zope 2.7/Py 2.3,
because it was no longer worth it, presumably due to obmalloc becoming
enabled. Unfortunately, I have lost the speedup gained by my Fast-Append-List
in Py 2.1, but I recall it saved about 5% in a similar test than the
one I have today.

> Yes.  For example, a 300-character string could do it (that's not
> small to obmalloc, but is to LFH).  Strings produced by pickling are
> very often that large, and especially in Zope (which uses pickles
> extensively under the covers -- reading and writing persistent objects
> in Zope all involve pickle strings).

With my amateur (in C-stuff) knowledge, this sounds as a very likely point.
>From Evan's 17 Feb mail, it sounds that cPickle would not use obmalloc -
if this is the case, wouldn't that be an obvious (and relatively easy) speedup?

> If someone were motivated enough, it would probably be easiest to
> run Martin's app on a Linux box, and use the free Linux tools to analyze it.

As it is often the case, real-life figures do not come from a benchmark,
but from an application test with real data, so putting the whole thing
up on Linux would need quite some time - which I don't have :-(

Best regards, Martin