[Python-Dev] Re: Comment regarding PEP 328

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 25 02:48:31 CET 2005

Josiah Carlson wrote:

> Guido van Rossum <gvanrossum at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>[Josiah Carlson]

>>[Greg Ewing]
>>
>>>...go on to prove that black is white and get
>>>ourselves killed by a python on the next
>>>zebra crossing.
>>
>>[Guido van Rossum]
>>I was hoping that Josiah would find out for himself while doing the
>>assigned homework of writing an implementation, saving him the effort
>>of writing a PEP. :-)
>

> Gah that should have been "... in such a way that made standard library
> imports different from user module/package imports ...".
>
> I started on the implementation, and now know why PEP 328 probably
> wasn't implemented in time for 2.4; import hooks can be ugly.
>
>  - Josiah

Hear, hear. If you'd like a working database import module to play with
I can oblige, thanks to the assistance of many willing hands.

The import arena is full of obsolete hooks and other cruft and, while I
can't help feeling that it would benefit from a complete redefinition I
suspect that breakage-avoidance might require that waits until 3.0.

regards
  Steve