[Python-Dev] UserString

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Fri Feb 25 07:30:47 CET 2005

>> You have a lot more faith in the errno module than I do. Are you sure
>> the same error codes work on all platforms where Python works?
>
>No, but I'm pretty confident the symbolic names for the errors are
>consistent for any platform I've cared about <wink>.
>
>> It's also not exactly readable (except for old Unix hacks).
>
>Guilty as charged. ;)

The consistency of the semantics of core system calls is sort of trademark
of unix. Any system that claims to be Unix, but plays loose and fast
with semantics soon gets a very poor reputation (xenix, cough).

All well-coded unix apps are dependent on system calls returning
consistent errno's. Which is one thing that makes life so difficult for
"posix" environments layered on other operating systems.

http://www.object-craft.com.au/