[Python-Dev] Re: Zipfile needs?

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Jan 3 22:42:38 CET 2005

Scott David Daniels wrote:
> Brett C. wrote:
>
>> Scott David Daniels wrote:
>>
>>> I'm hoping to add BZIP2 compression to zipfile for 2.5.  My primary
>>> motivation is that Project Gutenberg seems to be starting to use BZIP2
>>> compression for some of its zips.  What other wish list things do
>>> people around here have for zipfile?  I thought I'd collect input here
>>> and make a PEP.
>>
>> Encryption/decryption support.  Will most likely require a C extension
>> since the algorithm relies on ints (or longs, don't remember) wrapping
>> around when the value becomes too large.
>

> I'm trying to use byte-block streams (iterators taking iterables) as
> the basic structure of getting data in and out.  I think the encryption/
> decryption can then be plugged in at the right point.  If it can be set
> up properly, you can import the encryption separately and connect it to
> zipfiles with a call.  Would this address what you want?  I believe
> there is an issue actually building in the encryption/decryption in
> terms of redistribution.

Possibly.  Encryption is part of the PKZIP spec so I was just thinking of
covering that, not adding external encryption support.  It really is not overly
complex stuff, just will want to do it in C for speed probably as Guido
suggested (but, as always, I would profile that first to see if performance is
really that bad).

-Brett