[Python-Dev] 2.3.5 schedule, and something I'd like to get in

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Wed Jan 5 12:28:39 CET 2005

On 2005 Jan 05, at 00:06, Jack Jansen wrote:
> We've solved this issue for the trunk and we can solve it for 2.4.1:
> if MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET isn't set and we're on 10.3 we force it to
> 10.3. Moreover, when it is 10.3 or higher (possibly after being
> forced) we use the dynamic_lookup way of linking

Not having followed Python/Mac developments closely (my fault, sigh), I
would like to understand what this would imply for the forthcoming 10.4
("Tiger") release of MacOS -- and that in turn depends, I assume, on
what Python release will come with it.  Anybody who's under
nondisclosure should of course keep mum, but can somebody help e.g. by
telling me what Python is included in the current "development
previews" versions of Tiger?  I'm not gonna spend $500 to become a
highly-ranked enough "apple developer" to get those previews.
Considering Apple's habitual timings, I'm sort of resigned to us being
stuck with 2.3 for Tiger, but I would at least hope they'd get as late
a 2.3.* as they can.  So, assuming Tiger's Python is going to be, say,
2.3.4 or 2.3.5, would the change you're proposing make it MORE
attractive to Apple to go for 2.3.5, LESS so, or is it indifferent from
their POV...?

Thanks in advance for any help in getting the tradeoffs about this
clearer in my mind!

Alex