[Python-Dev] Let's get rid of unbound methods

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Wed Jan 5 17:30:06 CET 2005

Hi Guido,

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 10:28:03AM -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Let's get rid of unbound methods.

Is there any other use case for 'C.x' not returning the same as
'appropriate_super_class_of_C.__dict__["x"]' ?  I guess it's too late now but
it would have been nice if user-defined __get__() methods had the more obvious
signature (self, instance) instead of (self, instance_or_None, cls=None).
Given the amount of potential breakage people already pointed out I guess
it is not reasonable to change that.

Armin