[Python-Dev] ast branch pragmatics

Jeremy Hylton jhylton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 17:49:05 CET 2005

The existing ast-branch mostly works, but it does not include most of
the new features of Python 2.4.  There is a substantial integration
effort, perhaps easy for someone who does a lot of CVS branch merges.
(In particular, the head has already been merged to this branch once.)

I think it would be easier to create a new branch from the current
head, integrate the small number of changed files from ast-branch, and
work with that branch instead.  The idea is that it's an end-run
around doing an automatic CVS merge and relying on someone to manually
merge the changes.

At the same time, since there is a groundswell of support for
finishing the AST work, I'd like to propose that we stop making
compiler / bytecode changes until it is done.  Every change to
compile.c or the bytecode ends up creating a new incompatibilty that
needs to be merged.

If these two plans sound good, I'll get started on the new branch.

Jeremy