[Python-Dev] buffer objects [was: an idea for improving struct.unpack api]

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Thu Jan 6 18:22:36 CET 2005

On Jan 6, 2005, at 7:22 AM, Thomas Heller wrote:
> (*) Which brings me to the questions I have in my mind for quite some
> time: Why is readinto undocumented, and what about the status of the
> buffer object: do the recent fixes to the buffer object change it's
> status?

I, for one, would be very unhappy if the byte buffer object were to go
away. It's quite useful.

I didn't even realize readinto existed. It'd be great to add more of
them. os.readinto for reading from fds and socket.socket.recvinto for
reading from sockets. Is there any reason the writable buffer interface
isn't exposed to python-land?

James