[Python-Dev] Re: super() harmful?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jan 6 20:16:23 CET 2005

"James Y Knight" <foom at fuhm.net> wrote in message
news:091248B6-5FB7-11D9-8D68-000A95A50FB2 at fuhm.net...
> Please notice that I'm talking about concrete, real issues, not just a
> "super is bad!" rant.

Umm, James, come on.  Let's be really real and concrete ;-).

Your title "Python's Super Considered Harmful" is an obvious reference to
and takeoff on Dijkstra's influential polemic "Goto Considered Harmful".

To me, the obvious message therefore is that super(), like goto, is an
ill-conceived monstrosity that warps peoples' minds and should be banished.
I can also see a slight dig at Guido for introducing such a thing decades
after Dijkstra taught us to know better.

If that is your summary message for me, fine.  If not, try something else.
The title of a piece is part of its message -- especially when it has an
intelligible meaning.  For people who read the title in, for instance, a
clp post (as I did), but don't follow the link and read what is behind the
title (which I did do), the title *is* the message.

Terry J. Reedy