[Python-Dev] PEP 246, redux

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 16:46:39 CET 2005

> I had been promising to rewrite PEP 246 to incorporate the last several
> years' worth of discussions &c about it, and Guido's recent "stop the
> flames" artima blog post finally pushed me to complete the work.
> Feedback is of course welcome, so I thought I had better repost it
> here, rather than relying on would-be commenters to get it from CVS...

Thanks for doing this, Alex! I yet have to read the whole thing [will
attempt do so later today] but the few snippets I caught make me feel
this is a big step forward.

I'm wondering if someone could do a similar thing for PEP 245,
interfaces syntax? Alex hinted that it's a couple of rounds behind the
developments in Zope and Twisted. I'm personally not keen on needing
*two* new keywords (interface and implements) so I hope that whoever
does the rewrite could add a section on the advantages and
disadvantages of the 'implements' keyword (my simplistic alternative
proposal is to simply include interfaces in the list of bases in the
class statement; the metaclass can then sort it out).