[Python-Dev] Son of PEP 246, redux

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jan 13 05:48:47 CET 2005

At 11:26 PM 1/12/05 -0500, Clark C. Evans wrote:
>Regardless,
>getting back to the main goal I had when writing PEP 246 -- your
>alternative proposal still doesn't seem to provide a mechanism for
>component developers to have a dialogue with one another to connect
>components without involving the application programmer.

Eh?  You still have adapt(); you still have adapters.  The only difference
is that I've specified a way to not need "interfaces" - instead interfaces
can be defined in terms of individual operations, and those operations can
be initially defined by an abstract base, concrete class, or an "interface"
object.  Oh, and you don't have to write adapter *classes* - you write
adapting *methods* for individual operations.  This can be done by the
original author of a class or by a third party -- just like with PEP 246.