[Python-Dev] redux: fractional seconds in strptime

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Jan 14 19:29:53 CET 2005

On 2005 Jan 14, at 19:11, Aahz wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005, Brett C. wrote:
>>
>> Right, it's a struct_time object; just force of habit to call it a
>> time
>> tuple.
>>
>> And I technically don't see why a fractional second attribute could
>> not be
>> added that is not represented in the tuple.  But I personally would
>> like to
>> see struct_tm eliminated in Py3k and replaced with datetime usage.
>> My wish
>> is to have the 'time' module stripped down to only the bare
>> essentials that
>> just don't fit in datetime and push everyone to use datetime for most
>> things.
>
> Because of people doing things like
>
> year, month, day, hour, min, sec, junk, junk, junk = time.localtime()

And why would that be a problem?  It would keep working just like
today, assuming you're answering the "don't see why" part.  From the
start, we discussed fractional seconds being available only as an
ATTRIBUTE of a struct_time, not an ITEM (==iteration on a struct_time
will keep working just line now).

Alex