[Python-Dev] Exceptions *must*? be old-style classes?

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 06:17:44 CET 2005

> I still think that only an experiment could decide: somebody should
> come up with a patch that does that, and we will see what breaks.
>
> I still have the *feeling* that this has significant impact, but
> I could not pin-point this to any specific problem I anticipate.

This sounds like a good approach. We should do this now in 2.5, and as
alpha and beta testing progresses we can decide whether to roll it
back of what kind of backwards compatibility to provide.

(Most exceptions are very short classes with very limited behavior, so
I expect that in the large majority of cases it won't matter. The
question is of course how small the remaining minority is.)