[Python-Dev] I think setup.py needs major rework

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jan 26 22:35:35 CET 2005

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 January 2005 23:30, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>  >     Python's setup.py has grown way out of control.  I'm trying to build
>  > and install Python 2.4.0 on a Solaris system with Tcl/Tk installed in a
>  > non-standard place and I can't figure out the incantation to tell setup.py
>  > to look where they are installed.
>  >     This might be an excellent sprint topic for PyCon.
>
> Indeed it would be!

... and now it is listed as one.  Started a section on the sprint wiki page for
orphaned sprint topics with a subsection on core stuff.  Listed a rewrite of
setup.py along with a rewrite of site.py and the usual bug/patch squashing.

URL is http://www.python.org/moin/PyConDC2005/Sprints for those not wanting to
go hunting for it.

-Brett