[Python-Dev] Patch review: [ 1009811 ] Add missing types to__builtin__

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Thu Jan 27 08:01:20 CET 2005

On Jan 27, 2005, at 1:20 AM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> I agree. Because of the BDFL pronouncement, I cannot reject the patch,
> but I won't accept it, either. So it seems that this patch will have
> to sit in the SF tracker until either Guido processes it, or it is
> withdrawn.

If people want to restart this discussion, I'd like to start back with
the following message, rather than simply accepting/rejecting the
patch. From the two comments so far, it seems like it's not the patch
that needs reviewing, but still the concept.

On August 10, 2004 12:17:14 PM EDT, I wrote:
> Sooo should (for 'generator' in objects that claim to be in
> __builtins__ but aren't),
> 1) 'generator' be added to __builtins__
> 2) 'generator' be added to types.py and its __module__ be set to
> 'types'
> 3) 'generator' be added to <newmodule>.py and its __module__ be set to
> '<newmodule>' (and a name for the module chosen)

Basically, I'd like to see them be given a binding somewhere, and have
their claimed module agree with that, but am not particular as to
where. Option #2 seemed to be rejected last time, and option #1 was
given approval, so that's what I wrote a patch for. It sounds like it's
getting pretty strong "no" votes this time around, however. Therefore,
I would like to suggest option #3, with <newmodule> being, say,
'internals'.

James